Most times you do your best to buy just enough fabric for whatever project you want to create, but most times buying more than you need is the safest thing to do as you never know what might go wrong especially after you have already cut out your patterns.
So now you have all this extra fabric and you are not sure what to do with it right? Well here is a creative way to use it by making a Clutch.
What you will need:
- Fabric (Medium/Heavy weight: 1 yard)
- Sewing Machine (Can be hand sewn too)
- Cut your fabric to the desired size (mine is 17″ W X 14″ H). Cut out two pieces but remember to add seam allowance on all sides. You can also do this by using the size of your zipper to determine the width of your bag. Also, make sure your zipper is slightly longer than your bag.
- Sew the two pieces of fabric together, making one long piece.
- Next, pin one side of your zipper (facing down) to one side of your fabric (right side facing up) and pin along the edges. Turn it inside out and hopefully it looks like the picture below now, the rough edges of both the fabric and zipper are folded inside.
- Now open the zipper and like you did with the first side, pin the other side of the zipper, again facing down, to the opposite side of your fabric. Again, it should look like the bottom picture when done.
- Pin from the bottom all the way up to the edge of the zipper (right side to right side facing each other). I added black lining to mine as my fabric was not as heavy as i wanted it to be. Depending on the fabric you use you can skip that step.
- With your sewing machine, sew along the pinned edges past the zipper on both sides (can be sewn by hand also).
- Turn the bag inside out and iron to complete your bag. Tuck in or cut off any excess zipper. I used a 22″ zipper so you can imagine how much was left on both sides.
Voila! Clutch bag.
You do not have to stop there you can add any type of design to it like a fringe, beads or swarovski crystals to jazz it up or leave it plain. Below are pictures of the finished product and a previous mini clutch purse i made earlier. Enjoy!
Happy Eid Mubarak to everyone celebrating around the world!